Monday 19 November 2012

Lots of Television, But What About the Workout?

Sometimes the only running I seem to be able to do is running after time...and it's a race I don't always win!

How often have I told myself that I didn't have time to get a workout in my schedule?
Often. But, how many times has this actually been true? Not as often.

My big time wasting culprit is that big black box in my living room. For many years I lived alone and my tv became my constant companion. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've sometimes caught myself turning on the tv before I even had a chance to take off my coat.

Contrary to me Carl Savard, a friend, used his television as a mechanism to find time to exercise during his weight loss journey. He would get his cardio exercise done while watching different television shows, including the Biggest Loser. 10 months and 100 pounds later his life was forever changed. Despite the demands of being a working dad of 2 young kids, he found the time to do it. Instead of sitting on his couch watching tv, he used tv as an exercise tool.

I came to the shocking realization that I can be watching tv up to 34 hours in any given week. This is not something I'm proud of. I could be doing so many different things I never seem to have time to do during that time. But instead I'm being static and not working towards realizing my goals.

And so I've decided that I'm going to try a little experiment...5 days without turning on the television...Yesterday, I wasn't sure when I was going to workout this week. Well that isn't a problem anymore!

I'm anticipating the empty house and how just being with myself will go, but I'm also looking forward to getting the important things on my to-do list done.

What is your time waster?

No comments:

Post a Comment